Saber Guild
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Saber Guild

Not-for-Profit Star Wars Costume Group.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

hello everyone!

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Admiral Hampton

hello everyone! Empty
PostSubject: hello everyone!   hello everyone! Icon_minitimeSat May 07, 2016 3:00 pm

Hello to all,  my name is Mike Hampton.  I'm from a little town known as Wooster Ohio.  I am 23 years old, and for as long as i can remember it has been one of my biggest childhood dreams to be a Jedi.  After hearing about this guild,  i did not hesitate to sign up,  but now i have questions that i hope i can get answers to.  I would like to know where i can go to get the best quality gear for a costume and battle ready saber.  I have always wondered where such attire is acquired and where the battle ready sabers are best sold,  as i would LOVE to suit up and dive deeper into this community!
Back to top Go down
Luethar
Official Member
Luethar

hello everyone! Empty
PostSubject: Re: hello everyone!   hello everyone! Icon_minitimeSun May 08, 2016 11:24 am

Hello and welcome from Jakku Temple in Central Texas!

The first place I look is eBay. There are several companies in Singapore that sell belt sets for both Jedi and Sith. The pouches they come with are actually foam. So it may be cheaper to buy the belt and food capsules separately. Usually you can find food capsules for about $12. The belt for $35 or so. I have found that foreign WWII ammo pouches work best for Sith (German) and Jedi (Serbian is what I use but they do not fit on the belt so some modification is necessary). These are normally leather in the appropriate color and have no buckles but instead, leather thongs for closure. For your boots you can use Funtasm boots found on Amazon. I recommend spending the few extra dollars on the ones that have the spats (about $60), they look better and are a little more durable than the ones you can find without spats for $40. 

The remainder of your costume is the challenging part. If you know a seamstress or have one in your family, the costume can be an easy thing to acquire. The standards are laid out on the website. If you are a Jedi stick with Earth tones. If you are to be a Sith stick with black and highlights of dark colors (charcoal gray, red, purple, etc). Though these may not be the only colors allowable, they are the most recognized and are easier to get approved. 

For sabers there are many manufacturers like Ultrasabers, Vaders Vault, Saberforge, the Custom Saber Shop, etc. The important thing to remember is that you need a polycarbonate blade. You cannot fight with a ForceFX saber or a Master Replica. Those blades are not for actual dueling. If on a budget I would recommend getting your costume completed first. That is the larger expense. Then move onto your saber. There are two family of sabers - stunt sabers (without sound) and sabers with sound. If you are on a budget, I would recommend starting out with an Ultrasaber. The Aeon V2 without sound is a very decent starter saber and can be shipped to your home for about $90 total. Of course, there are other companies but they are more expensive as you change models, options, and manufacturers. 

Being in a new area away from a temple can make this a little more challenging. However, if you have friends in the other LFL costuming groups (501st or Rebel Legion) they may be able to point you in the direction of some knowledgeable people. 

I hope this information helps. Feel free to ask more questions of anyone here, or reach out for specific information if you like. 

Welcome to LFL's preferred costumed lightsaber choreography group! 

Good luck!

Paul Trupia, SG-131
Local Director
Jakku Temple
Saber Guild
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/SGEidolonTemple
Admiral Hampton

hello everyone! Empty
PostSubject: Re: hello everyone!   hello everyone! Icon_minitimeSun May 08, 2016 11:56 am

Thank you so much for this information! It's so great to hear back from you guys. I'll be honest when i read your message, my inner child almost exploded with excitement. I do have one specific question. for the last half hour i have been looking at sabers and my first stop was at saber forge. There sabers say they are made with a hyperdurable infinity blade. I am no expert as to the material that is used for making the blades, so is that similar to polycarbonate? Or does the blade description actually have to say that it is made of polycarbonate?. Once again, thank you for all of the information

Mike Hampton.
Back to top Go down
Luethar
Official Member
Luethar

hello everyone! Empty
PostSubject: Re: hello everyone!   hello everyone! Icon_minitimeSun May 08, 2016 12:02 pm

Saberforge blades are a high impact plastic polycarbonate-like material. Though if you order from them be prepared to wait. They have a large wait time and they are not very communicative. I have a friend that is still waiting on an order from December.

Quickest turnaround time is Ultrasabers, (about a week or so), then The Custom Saber Shop (about two - three weeks depending on the build, then Vaders Vault/Saberforge (months). Other manufacturers have different lead times as well. Lead time is the second thing (after budget) you should definitely consider when choosing a manufacturer.

Anything else?

Paul
Back to top Go down
Admiral Hampton

hello everyone! Empty
PostSubject: Re: hello everyone!   hello everyone! Icon_minitimeSun May 08, 2016 12:04 pm

oh wow thats good to know, thanks! so then are all thes manufacturers guarunteed polycarbonate blades?
Back to top Go down
Luethar
Official Member
Luethar

hello everyone! Empty
PostSubject: Re: hello everyone!   hello everyone! Icon_minitimeSun May 08, 2016 12:08 pm

The manufacturers that I mentioned above utilize combat grade blades.
Back to top Go down
Admiral Hampton

hello everyone! Empty
PostSubject: Re: hello everyone!   hello everyone! Icon_minitimeSun May 08, 2016 12:13 pm

okay thank you again. And lastly, for sith colored blades, what is allowed, and whay should i stay away from? (aside from jedi colors which i know what those are)
Back to top Go down
Luethar
Official Member
Luethar

hello everyone! Empty
PostSubject: Re: hello everyone!   hello everyone! Icon_minitimeSun May 08, 2016 5:42 pm

Red = Sith. As far as any other colors that is a question best answered by the costume counselors. I have not seen a Sith with any other color than red.
Back to top Go down
Etain Thrail
Local Director
Local Director
Etain Thrail

hello everyone! Empty
PostSubject: Re: hello everyone!   hello everyone! Icon_minitimeTue May 17, 2016 7:15 pm

Hello and welcome my name is Stephen and I am the Assistant Global Director for the Saber Guild as well has the Local Director for the Outer Rim Temple in the Inland Empire of Southern California. Should you have any questions please do not hesitate to ask and I will have them answered as quickly as possible. My self and the rest of the Global Council are here to help as much as we can.
Back to top Go down
http://www.outerrimsaberguild.com/
Admiral Hampton

hello everyone! Empty
PostSubject: Re: hello everyone!   hello everyone! Icon_minitimeTue May 17, 2016 7:19 pm

hello stephen, nice to meet your acquaintence. i have just recently purchased my saber which is now one the way, however the color of the blade is blazing orange, is that qualifying? (im going for a sith set up).
Back to top Go down
Etain Thrail
Local Director
Local Director
Etain Thrail

hello everyone! Empty
PostSubject: Re: hello everyone!   hello everyone! Icon_minitimeTue Jun 21, 2016 3:08 pm

That is a good question. I would take a look at the Custom Sith Requirements on the Saber Guild's website: http://saberguild.org/sith-costume-standards/
Back to top Go down
http://www.outerrimsaberguild.com/
Sponsored content

hello everyone! Empty
PostSubject: Re: hello everyone!   hello everyone! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

hello everyone!
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Saber Guild :: Saber Guild Information :: "GRRREETINGS!"-
Jump to: