Not-for-Profit Star Wars Costume Group.

HomeFAQSearchRegisterLog in

Share | 

Greetings from Kansas City!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Saint_Nevik

PostSubject: Greetings from Kansas City!   Sun Jul 17, 2016 11:29 pm

I've been kinda "lurking" around this group for about two years. Watched y'alls show at CVI and loved it. Here in Kansas City where I live the group has kinda been apathetic in wanting to get together and actually make something in Kansas City happen. So as a result I have made it my personal conquest to get Kansas City in gear and start having meets. Being new, any tips or pointers would be great. I would also like to know what needs to happen to be an actual "Temple"? I know we are called the crossroads clan? I think? I have many interested they just need a firm kick in the rear to get the meets to happen. I have provided that kick. lol. Our first meet is going to be on 7/31 so if anyone has any tips I could share with those who attend, feel free to let me know! Thanks!

-Kevin
Back to top Go down
Luethar
Membership Director
Membership Director

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from Kansas City!   Tue Jul 19, 2016 6:40 am

Welcome from Jakku Temple in Central Texas! 

The first thing you will want to do is become an official member yourself. Get your costume together and approved. Creating a set schedule for practices/meet ups is a good start. Be serious about practice - don't make it easy. Figure out a choreography system to use and learn it. Be proficient in it yourself so you are able to teach newer people. Always put safety first, hurt members cannot perform. 

Do not just let anyone join - be picky. Only invest in people that have the same commitment level as you, otherwise you will exert a lot of energy on people who will never commit (sounds brutish but you'll thank me). Those people will be easy to spot. They will get their costumes together quickly, will get a saber, and attend practice regularly. 

I suggest creating a Facebook group. Get in tight with your Rebel Legion and 501st friends - partner with their leadership. Start small with local events (parades, festivals, etc.) then work your way up as the squad grows. Once you have six members approved you can become an official temple. 

Try to partner with a dojo or a dance studio, if you can. Ask if they can donate studio/dojo time to Saber Guild as a not-for-profit. Practicing indoors will make it easier in those KC winters. 

Establishing a temple is not an easy process. There are a lot of things to consider. What I listed above is a small taste of things to think about. Feel free to ask questions. Though Global Council Members may have more input, I can assist you from a Local Director's stand point.

Good luck!

Paul

Membership Director - Saber Guild
Jakku Temple
Saber Guild
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/SGEidolonTemple
JediLibrarian
Costume Consular
Costume Consular

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from Kansas City!   Sat Sep 10, 2016 9:51 pm

Hihi from Nar Shaddaa. Our Temple is just one year old. If you ever want to talk shop, discuss how to form a Temple, let me know.

My google hangout handle is werewolfcowgirl/ lonegirl@gmail.com or you can find me on Facebook HERE

There are so many benefits to joining Saber Guild - the LFL recognition and being the premiere lightsaber combat group opens doors that you otherwise would not get open.

My first advice is start a Facebook group and put up events for practice. You need people to be able to find the group and having a Facebook account separate from you helps.

Good luck and MTFBWY!
-Amanda

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from Kansas City!   

Back to top Go down

Greetings from Kansas City!
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1