HomeFAQSearchRegisterLog in

Share | 

Where to Meet?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Loharr Talem

PostSubject: Where to Meet?   Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:14 am

Hello,

My name is Garrett, and I have been a Star Wars fan for as long as I can remember. I did attend SWCO this past week, and I ran into the Saber Guild stall. Talking with them was a really insightful discussion, and I wanted to help start a Florida temple. I reside in Orlando (Winter Park), though I have only been here since August of last year. 

Now that my introduction is out of the way, onto the topic. With my knowledge of the area being limited, I think either Blue Jacket Park or Lake Baldwin Park would be suitable meeting places to start with. As I said, my knowledge of this area is limited, and these locations might be less than optimal for our desired purposes, but it's a start.

Where do you all think we should start meeting?
Back to top Go down
Shaymandy

PostSubject: Re: Where to Meet?   Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:39 am

Hi Garrett and everyone!

I'm Amanda and I too am wanting to help begin a Temple in the Orlando area. A little about me: I am a local actress, I have experience in stage combat and karate, and I am also a cosplayer. I've known of SG for awhile and was trying to begin the process of starting a Temple but had trouble finding like-minded people haha

As for meeting places, Garrett, those two places are very nice, but seeing as it's outside and nearing warmer times (and especially with all the wildfires happening lately), it might be a little unpleasant (I've lived in Orlando most of my life)

If we want to keep the meeting near downtown (and inside), there's a Panera Bread on Orange Ave right next to the Florida Hospital. Or a Starbucks on Edgewater. On Colonial, there's the Fashion Square Mall, which also has a Panera

Of course, these are just a few suggestions as to where to meet. I look forward to meeting all of you! Smile

Last edited by Shaymandy on Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Durkazyn

PostSubject: Re: Where to Meet?   Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:05 pm

Hello fellow fans.
Both Blue Jacket and Lake Baldwin are an hour drive from me, I live in Davenport. I'd recommend the Northeast Regional Park but then Garrett would have to drive an hour for that.
The Dr. P. Phillips Community Park might be a good spot. Or even The Bill Frederick Park at Turkey Lake.
I have some previous experience with stage combat choreography so I'm personally looking for a medium-to-large sized park where there's plenty of space to spread out 30+ people and move around in case of events or the park is randomly mobbed.
I would also like to suggest a practice time of Sunday afternoons. This allows anyone with religious services a chance to pray and doesn't cut into anyone's Saturday plans.
Hope to hear from everyone.
Back to top Go down
Shaymandy

PostSubject: Re: Where to Meet?   Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:33 pm

Durakazyn - either park you suggested is about a 40 minute drive from where I live, but I am more than willing to go in that direction. Moving forward, I think it may be a good idea to rotate between these and more parks to accommodate more people. However, for our initial meeting, may I suggest a smaller location? Like Austin's Coffee & Film on Fairbanks? It's a very nice place where I've had business meetings before in the past. Thoughts?
Back to top Go down
cgannett

PostSubject: Re: Where to Meet?   Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:37 pm

Is there only to be an Orlando temple? I am aware that the Facebook Page was recruitment of Orlando area, but has any one alone the East coast like myself shown up as well? 

If so, and since this is only FLORIDA form, would it be wrong to seek a East guild as well?
Back to top Go down
Loharr Talem

PostSubject: Re: Where to Meet?   Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:46 pm

cgannett, this forum is specifically for the Florida temple, or temples. There are several other temples up in New England. New Jersey and New York I believe.
Back to top Go down
Ilshai

PostSubject: Re: Where to Meet?   Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:39 pm

Hi, I'm Andrea and I just met the Saber Guild at SWCO last weekend.  My husband and I are wanting to start a guild as well.  We live in the Tampa area and so do most of our friends.  Orlando is quite a drive for us so we would be local mostly to Tampa Bay.  I have at least 5 people willing to join but only one of us has a costume and it will be a while before the rest of us can afford it.  We are, however, working towards it.
Back to top Go down
Loharr Talem

PostSubject: Re: Where to Meet?   Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:50 pm

Hello,

I have done a bit of further research in to where we could possibly practice, but about where to meet I have taken into account Durkazyn's predicament of living in Davenport. A few locations I have chosen are Chewy Boba Company on S Orange Blossom Trail, the Starbucks on S Conway Road, and one (Which is closer to me, sorry about that) is the Sanctum Cafe on N Fern Creek Avenue.

I have found 2 dance studios, relatively close to me, about a 20 minute drive if I choose Uber. Movement Arts Studios on N Orange Blossom Trail and Dance Trance Fitness on Edgewater Drive. These will make good spots to practice I think, and I would post the links, but new members aren't permitted to post links for at least a week, so I will try in a few more days. Let's try and come to an accord of where to meet so we can all meet up and start training.
Back to top Go down
Gray Tom

PostSubject: Re: Where to Meet?   Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:11 pm

Hello everyone!

I posted this one the Facebook discussion, but want to include it here.

My wife and I live in Saint Cloud, and a friend of mine, Austin, is about 15 mins south of me. Locations like Winter Park, Edgewater, even Baldwin park are a 45 min or more depending on traffic. 

As we are split with part of the squad being north Orlando, and part of us being south outside of Orlando, I would second Marcellus idea of having a meeting location in South Orlando. That should make it a 30-45 minute drive for everyone. There are several public parks that would work like Bill Fredricks, South Orange Youth Sports Complex, and Moss Park.
Back to top Go down
Loharr Talem

PostSubject: Re: Where to Meet?   Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:15 pm

Gray Tom,

Chewy Boba Company and Movement Arts Studio are on N Orange Blossom Trail and S Orange Blossom Trail. Are those close to the South Orange Youth Sports Complex?
Back to top Go down
Shaymandy

PostSubject: Re: Where to Meet?   Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:31 pm

Hey! Sorry, I've been mega busy lately. If southern Orlando is a contender for an in-person initial meeting, Celebration is a nice place. A couple little eateries that aren't expensive and with inside and outside seating and it's a very nice area
Back to top Go down
Loharr Talem

PostSubject: Re: Where to Meet?   Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:42 pm

Shaymandy, do you mean the convention center? If so, that is a location I can do.
Back to top Go down
Shaymandy

PostSubject: Re: Where to Meet?   Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:29 pm

I mean Celebration, Florida. It's about 5 minutes south-ish away (depending on traffic) from both Walt Disney World and Gaylord Palms
Back to top Go down
Loharr Talem

PostSubject: Re: Where to Meet?   Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:38 pm

Well then.... I guess I need to do a bit of research then....

Research done. That will take me a while to get there by car, and since my main mode of transportation is a bike.... I use Uber for longer distances. I think that distance will take a decent chunk of my funds.

What about a location a little closer? What about the Mall at Millenia?
Back to top Go down
Gray Tom

PostSubject: Re: Where to Meet?   Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:06 am

Loharr Talem wrote:
Gray Tom,

Chewy Boba Company and Movement Arts Studio are on N Orange Blossom Trail and S Orange Blossom Trail. Are those close to the South Orange Youth Sports Complex?

South Orange Youth Sports is down near the Hunter's Creek area (southern boarder of Orange county), about 10-15 south of the Florida Mall where Chewy Boba is at. Movement Arts is located between Princeton and Silver Star, 30 minutes north of the Florida Mall area. 

Do you know the owners or have connections to use either of these locations?
Back to top Go down
Loharr Talem

PostSubject: Re: Where to Meet?   Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:17 am

I do not, as I have only been in the area since August of last year. I am merely suggesting places to meet. But the first meet up should be this Sunday at the TGI Friday's near the Mall and Millenia. Not an official meeting, but a good step to start to becoming official.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Where to Meet?   

Back to top Go down

Where to Meet?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1