Not-for-Profit Star Wars Costume Group.

HomeFAQSearchRegisterLog in

Share | 

buying a saber

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
arohk

PostSubject: buying a saber   Wed Oct 14, 2015 12:59 am

Hey all I was just wondering who is the best company to buy a battle ready saber from. I heard that Ultrasabers isn't the greatest.

Thanks all
Larry
Back to top Go down
Hake Felflame
Local Director
Local Director

PostSubject: Re: buying a saber   Wed Oct 14, 2015 8:28 am

Take a look through this document I wrote up about the most prominent lightsaber manufacturers to see what they each offer. With each one, there are both positives and negatives, and it comes down to what you think is the most critical variable. Of course, your mileage may vary.

Just always keep in mind the project management triangle: Cheap, Fast, and Good - Pick Two.

As for personal opinions, I started with Ultrasabers since they were the cheapest and easiest way to get into the hobby at the time, but I have not purchased from them in years for a number of reasons, namely long term reliability and design choices I do not like or agree with. Every Ultrasaber I've purchased has needed repairs within 6 months, such that I learned soldering and basic electronics just to make my own repairs.

I've owned sabers from Ultrasabers, SaberForge, and Saberz, and the only one that has not needed repairs after significant use is my Saberz Dark Oracle, and I've had that and used it regularly for a year and a half (it was also the most expensive purchase of all my sabers).

Luethar
Membership Director
Membership Director

PostSubject: Re: buying a saber   Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:58 am

I use Ultrasabers, myself. What ever your decision, you will need to learn a little bit about electric circuits and soldering. Repairs are always needed in one form or another. The other thing I would shy away from are sabers that have LED strands within the blade. No matter how thick the blade, these LED strands tend to break and require advanced skills to repair. 

I have friends that own sabers from SaberForge, UltraSabers, Vader's Vault, The Custom Saber Shop, Parks Sabers and Makoto. The later two tend to have the in-blade LED strands. 

As Hake mentioned, it all depends on what you want to spend. You can go from Yugo to Ferrari! 

Either way, good luck in your decision. 

Lue.

Saber Guild
Jakku Temple
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/SGEidolonTemple
arohk

PostSubject: Re: buying a saber   Sun Oct 18, 2015 6:17 pm

Thanks guys the info helps at least I have electronic skills so that is a plus by the sounds of it Smile.
Back to top Go down
Iroa_Nox
Official Member

PostSubject: Re: buying a saber   Wed Nov 04, 2015 9:01 pm

So lets say I want something Fast/Good ?  Not terribly concerned with pricing really
Back to top Go down
Ky-Wan Zann
Official Member

PostSubject: Re: buying a saber   Wed Nov 04, 2015 9:18 pm

I generally go with Genesis sabers.  However everyone has different likes and dislikes with every vendor and it's important to look at every vendor to decide what you want
Back to top Go down
Varekeii

PostSubject: Re: buying a saber   Fri Aug 19, 2016 11:17 am

I have some really nice old Master Replica sabers that need repair and conversion to be battle ready.  Does anyone know who does stuff like that and about how much it would cost?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: buying a saber   

Back to top Go down

buying a saber
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1