Saber Guild
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Saber Guild

Not-for-Profit Star Wars Costume Group.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

The Last Jedi Worldwide Release

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
MasterEcho
Official Member
MasterEcho

The Last Jedi Worldwide Release Empty
PostSubject: The Last Jedi Worldwide Release   The Last Jedi Worldwide Release Icon_minitimeThu Aug 03, 2017 9:03 am

Hi all,
Echo down here in Miami, Florida. Greetings to all. The Last Jedi is coming out this December 15, 2017 and I was wondering if The Saber Legion is doing anything as far as a worldwide event for it. We just got another member here in South Florida and he and I are thinking of reaching out to 2-3 of our local movie theaters to see if they'd be interested in having us come and do a lightsaber performance at their theater for opening day. Obviously, time-willing we could 2-3 across opening weekend at different theaters but before we start approaching them, we'd like to know what is the greater community doing for it and if there's a way we can pool our resources to use the same "voice" when we approach these movie theaters. We just want to make sure we're not stepping on toes here or re-inventing the wheel. 

If nothing is planned, is this something we can discuss or plan? Was something like this done for The Force Awakens?

Thanks and looking forward to seeing the feedback on this thread!
Back to top Go down
http://www.sabercraft.org
Luethar
Official Member
Luethar

PostSubject: Re: The Last Jedi Worldwide Release   The Last Jedi Worldwide Release Icon_minitimeThu Aug 03, 2017 12:55 pm

Alfred,

In Texas for the Force Awakens we worked with Santikos in San Antonio and performed at the Palladium. For Rogue One, we worked with the Alamo Draft House in Austin. In the past there wasn't a global effort in coordinating with movies theaters across the country. Local temples seemed to find one willing to have you participate in. As a bonus both theaters gave us tickets on the for the Thursday night opening. 

I would start planning in October. Reach out to your local theaters. Find the theaters with large rooms or stages that will have room for you to perform. Partner with the theater and explain top them that you are trying to enhance their movie goer experience by adding to the atmosphere of release night. 

Keep in mind that many theaters do online pre-sales these days. Days of long lines on premiere nights are gone. You may not get a large audience because people can now wait till the last minute to enter the theater. 

Either way, start planning now.... if you need any assistance do not hesitate to reach out.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/SGEidolonTemple
Ky-Wan Zann
Official Member
Ky-Wan Zann

PostSubject: Re: The Last Jedi Worldwide Release   The Last Jedi Worldwide Release Icon_minitimeThu Aug 03, 2017 7:00 pm

What's the Saber Legion?  Is that another saber group?  For the release of TFA and R1 our Temple was invited to an out lying suburb of Edmonton and performed there for the crows, posed for images and such.  Because the large movie chains run preshow featuring ds now and not at midnight the chances of our performing at these larger chains are rare.  We still see the first showing there as a group and Temple but we don't get to perform, if we pose for images it's just because we as fans are doing it.
Back to top Go down
MasterEcho
Official Member
MasterEcho

PostSubject: Re: The Last Jedi Worldwide Release   The Last Jedi Worldwide Release Icon_minitimeSat Aug 12, 2017 6:30 pm

Hi all, got some great news and updates and wanted to share here and help. First off, @Jason F/Ky-Wan, I didn't realize that I had typed Saber Legion. Yup, another saber group that's full-contact. I join their meet ups down here and I slip from time to time between my group - SaberCraft, our group - Saber Guild and their group Saber Legion. So many sabers, so little time. Sorry about the slip. 

Thank you for your never-ending guidance Paul. I followed your advice and reached out to our local IMAX here in South Florida and they are setting us up. They're blocking tickets, and reserved places in the Priority line for us as a team for a number of times for opening weekend. I worked out a deal where those who perform will be able to buy tickets for that particular showtime but they must come and perform. Our group has been moving at a slow pace recently doing their submissions but something tells me, this will be a fire that will spark their motivation to get their shots done. I'd like to provide the letter here that I sent the theater in case any of you want to copy/paste when you reach out to your local theater. 

Here's what I wrote that got my foot in the door:

Hi, I represent a local lightsaber performance group called Saber Guild that does work with local conventions and various non-profit groups and we wanted to know who to contact regarding setting up an event to the public to support the upcoming Star Wars release: The Last Jedi with live performances of lightsaber choreography. Is it possible if you can point me in the right direction?

Short and sweet and to the point. Assuming they respond back to you, they'll probably ask what Saber Guild is and this is where you have your 30-sec elevator pitch ready. Rather than send them a link, I figured to lay it out quick and easy and cover what they need to here - what do we want and whether it's going to cost them anything:

Hi thank you for getting back to me. So Saber Guild is a Star Wars volunteer non-for-profit performance group recognized by Lucasfilm. We are a global group with chapters all over the world.  During a performance, our goal is for the audience to experience the Star Wars universe. We strive for screen accuracy in costuming and character portrayal so we dress up in full costume as Jedi and Sith and we can perform lightsaber combat choreography. There is no actual "combat" as everything is choreographed. We also just do photo-ops where the audience takes photos/selfies with us. As far as cost - there is none. Any money provided would be donated to a Cause but this is not anything we request. These are a number of partners that we've done work with in the past: http://saberguild.org/charity-work/. We do this simply to help spread the love of Star Wars. We have a number of folks that will be attending the movie at the YOUR THEATER HERE who are purchasing tickets already and the most that we'd request is to have a section of seats blocked for us. The only reason to have anything blocked off is because none-of-us would be able to stand in line as we would be dressed, walking around, performing, etc... This is done only out of good-will and not for profit of any sort. We are available to come by the YOUR THEATER HERE or your offices at any time and drop off any additional support material or to discuss further details.

From that point, it's just back and forth working out details where they may either invite and comp the tickets or just block off the tickets so we can purchase before they're available to the general public. I figured to share this to help anyone out who's trying to set this up as quick boiler-plate letters. Thank you again for the tips and May the Force be with Y'all. Cheers.

Last edited by MasterEcho on Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Darth Hellion
Official Member
Darth Hellion

PostSubject: Re: The Last Jedi Worldwide Release   The Last Jedi Worldwide Release Icon_minitimeFri Aug 18, 2017 4:48 pm

Please note that we should not use the term "authorized" by Lucasfilm. "Recognized" is a much better word.
Back to top Go down
MasterEcho
Official Member
MasterEcho

PostSubject: Re: The Last Jedi Worldwide Release   The Last Jedi Worldwide Release Icon_minitimeFri Aug 18, 2017 8:30 pm

Loud and clear. I'll modify any further copy to ensure that we use "recognized" rather than "authorized". Sorry for any confusion that I may have caused.

I went ahead and modified it above and edited out "recognized" to ensure no confusion. Again, sorry for the misunderstanding.
Back to top Go down
MasterEcho
Official Member
MasterEcho

PostSubject: Re: The Last Jedi Worldwide Release   The Last Jedi Worldwide Release Icon_minitimeTue Oct 17, 2017 11:14 am

Thank you everyone for getting our temple on board! With our opening, I'd like to get the ball rolling properly and in the right direction. After reviewing the Charter, we're putting together the next steps in setting up our first performance on behalf of our temple - the right way. Most of these questions are directed to Darth Hellion. 

We've teamed up with our local Imax theater here in South Florida for the opening night of the The Last Jedi. They would like us to do a performance and to help rile up the crowd. I'm not entirely sure if that would qualify as a "large" or "small event". I am expecting 250 attendees with limited media (photos/videos) of local broadcasts. The event will be Dec. 15. and with that I have several questions. Please feel free to just provide URLs in case I missed something. I'm also available via skype/fb-messenger to have a quick discussion through these if it's easier. All of this is assuming I get elected as LD for our local chapter.

1. Should I be putting you in contact with the Movie Theater's Marketing Dept or would you prefer that I handle it at a local level? 

2. They want us to make an appearance at the local Bloomingdales in Aventura Mall to promote The Last Jedi –Star Wars Cosplayers / Photo-Op on Saturday, 11/11/17 from 3 p.m. – 5 p.m. It's part of their promotion for the movie. Are we ok to do this event?

3. Assuming we have a small script to go along with the choreography, should we have someone review it here?

4. For these events there will be folks who will run sound for us. Do these sound people have to be active members? They will not be in costume but will be focused on sound cues & mixer levels. I don't believe they need to be but please let me know. 

5. For future events, do we need to post it in the Large Events "Celebration, SD Comic Con" thread or is there a thread I should post to or is this self managed and we post to our Temple's thread and include it in our meeting minutes?

6. We would like to establish a FB page for our local chapter. Do you have to approve before we go live? Are there any guidelines I should follow? Should it be a "page" or "group"? 

All of these we will ensure only SG Active Full Members will be performing. 
Back to top Go down
MasterEcho
Official Member
MasterEcho

PostSubject: Re: The Last Jedi Worldwide Release   The Last Jedi Worldwide Release Icon_minitimeTue Oct 17, 2017 11:32 am

Pardon me, Darth Hallion. I believe then these questions are directed to: Kay Ahern :: SG 255.
Back to top Go down
Darth Hellion
Official Member
Darth Hellion

PostSubject: Re: The Last Jedi Worldwide Release   The Last Jedi Worldwide Release Icon_minitimeTue Oct 17, 2017 11:53 am

No problem. My stats haven't been updated yet. I'll go through these with Kay and have them get back to you. Good questions!
Back to top Go down
Kayleesi
Public Relations Director
Kayleesi

PostSubject: Re: The Last Jedi Worldwide Release   The Last Jedi Worldwide Release Icon_minitimeSun Oct 22, 2017 1:39 pm

Hey Alfred! Thanks for being patient during the transition.

1. That is something you will want to handle at the local level. Any materials produced by anyone other than your members should not use any of our logos and should not use the phrase "Star Wars Characters". They are free to reference our organization otherwise as long as they aren't using our material, or use the term "Star Wars cosplayers" as they seem to have decided on.

I will be putting together some basic PR guidelines in the near future for all LDs to reference.

2. Retail is REALLY tricky. Lucasfilm does not want retail stores using our organizations to promote sales. If there is no charity aspect tied to the event, then you should not be making an appearance.

3. Our two general rule of thumb for personal scripts is that death should not be included at a kid's event, and that the scripts should make sense for the era they take place in (IE: You wouldn't see Rey fighting Darth Vader). They don't need to be reviewed, but if you are concerned about representing the brand properly, I am happy to review it for you.

4. Crew members and handlers do not need to be official members of our organization to help you. However, as they are representing us and you, it's your responsibility to make sure they are adhering to our charter while at an event being coordinated by Saber Guild.

5. Your temple's thread is fine for that. We encourage you to keep a facebook page on social media for public awareness, but internal communication should happen elsewhere.

6. It should be a page. I might hold off on creating it until you folks have a logo solidified.
Back to top Go down
MasterEcho
Official Member
MasterEcho

PostSubject: Re: The Last Jedi Worldwide Release   The Last Jedi Worldwide Release Icon_minitimeSun Oct 22, 2017 2:11 pm

Thank you, Kay!

We'll go ahead and work with the local theater management. I will let the theater also know that Bloomingdale's is out for the reasons you specified. I totally understand the issues with profit nature. They haven't made any announcements regarding our appearance for the opening night but will tell them to use "Saber Guild" in their campaigns - no logo provided. The PR Guidelines will be a huge help and if you need help with it, I'll be glad to volunteer a second set of eyes. Part of my day-job for the airline is being the Brand Manager. 

As far as logo, do we create it or does Saber Guild provide it? I see in this post that they're discussing ideas but we can create it if you all give us the Font that we should be using to help lighten the load. Some of us are familiar with Illustrator & Photohsop. 

Appreciate everything you all do & looking forward to building the organization!
Back to top Go down
Kayleesi
Kayleesi

PostSubject: Re: The Last Jedi Worldwide Release   The Last Jedi Worldwide Release Icon_minitimeSun Oct 22, 2017 3:15 pm

We usually have someone from the Global Media Committee produce them for you. I have a few potential logo ideas for "Dagobah" if that's what you folks ended up deciding on, but if you have design ideas in mind that you would like to offer up, I will be happy to pass them on!

As far as some demos go, I will PM them to you once I have access to my desktop.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Last Jedi Worldwide Release   The Last Jedi Worldwide Release Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Last Jedi Worldwide Release
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Saber Guild :: Global Temples :: Saber Guild Global News-
Jump to: