Saber Guild
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Saber Guild

Not-for-Profit Star Wars Costume Group.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Greetings From Seattle, WA

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Baris_Alrisul
Costume Consular
Costume Consular
Baris_Alrisul

Greetings From Seattle, WA Empty
PostSubject: Greetings From Seattle, WA   Greetings From Seattle, WA Icon_minitimeFri Mar 31, 2017 6:33 pm

Hello! My name is Caitlin, and I am looking into the possibility of joining the Saber Guild here in the Emerald City. I had my first Jedi costume approved with the Rebel Legion earlier this month, and I'm hoping to be able to make something suitable for Saber Guild as well.

I've got an original Jedi in the early planning stages that will definitely eventually meet the Saber Guild standards. However, before trying to rush that costume into production so I can get started with you folks as well, I would love to figure out if the one I have might possibly be reusable as a first costume. My current Jedi costume is a screen-accurate Depa Billaba. She is, of course, a Prequel Era Master, which would seem to fit the overall spirit of the guidelines. I also have an old Parks saber that would almost certainly meet the standards for combat readiness. However, there are several features of Depa's canonical outfit that would not fit the stated general standards. She does not canonically wear a belt, obi, or tabards (which also, of course, means no pouches, food capsules, or clip for her saber). Her tunic, rather than being of the standard wrapped style, is a long T-shaped tunic similiar to medieval styles, extending approximately to ankle length. Her robe is also notably different from standard Jedi robes, having a much larger hood and sleeves, a closure in the front, and an extra loop of fabric extending down past her waist over her robe. All of that being said, I have checked, and I am definitely capable of moving freely in the costume, and had no difficulty doing basic katas while wearing it.

So, what do folks think? Is there any chance of Depa being approved, or shall I just go ahead and push forward with my original Jedi?
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/CrystaltongueCostuming/
Boj-Vaati Mau
Official Member
Boj-Vaati Mau

PostSubject: Re: Greetings From Seattle, WA   Greetings From Seattle, WA Icon_minitimeSat Apr 01, 2017 12:13 am

Greetings from Strafe Plains!
At first blush Depa should be fine. Provide as many photographic examples of  the character that you are able along with your submission design. Since she was a screen used character, as you mentioned, the guidelines aren't applicable with proper references. That being said submit the costume and see if there's something that might have to be changed up. Does she have a specific saber as well? If she does then you'll need that for trooping though your Parks can be used for performances. Your trooping saber doesn't have to operable at least, just look the part and hold a blade.
Good luck on your submission!
Back to top Go down
Lleutiegr
Official Member
Lleutiegr

PostSubject: Re: Greetings From Seattle, WA   Greetings From Seattle, WA Icon_minitimeSun Apr 02, 2017 1:18 pm

Hi Caitlin, welcome! I'm a member here in Seattle. We have a strong relationship with Rebel Legion in Washington. We just finished ECCC where we had 501st & Rebel Legion members make some special cameo appearances - so you'll be a step ahead in getting involved in shows already.

Whichever costume route you go, hope to see you stop by rehearsal on Thursday nights at Seattle Unity (by Denny Park). You can try out choreography as you decide. The Local Costume Consular, Amanda, can also help answer questions and make the approval process as smooth as possible. Smile

Best Regards,

Anne
Back to top Go down
Baris_Alrisul
Costume Consular
Costume Consular
Baris_Alrisul

PostSubject: Re: Greetings From Seattle, WA   Greetings From Seattle, WA Icon_minitimeMon Jun 05, 2017 1:29 am

Thank you SOOOO much to all the Saber Guild folks who waited patiently on my work schedule, and then helped me through the submission process. I am thrilled to say that I am now OFFICIALLY SG-379 (and, apparently, the first Depa in Saber Guild, so yay for doing a sufficiently obscure face character!). Definitely excited to do my first show next month.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/CrystaltongueCostuming/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Greetings From Seattle, WA   Greetings From Seattle, WA Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Greetings From Seattle, WA
Page 1 of 1